Saturday, October 13, 2007

Off pets, emotions and fears...

Ok so its been what 2-3 weeks since i last posted here. Now before I get lectures on "how this is just another example of how short of an attention span i have" let me assure the time spent away from you my darling blog has been quite interesting....

To start off on a sombre note....my darling diva-esque love Debra died of a lung infection and its seems with her death my tryst with pet dogs has come to an end. It was quite a blow for me to see her go... she was as akin to me as can be! Spunky, effortlessly stylish, a bit tantrumy in a cute way and slightly off her knockers :-).....And she was one good looking dog! So there I was glumly going about my business, managing a luxury brand preview in Delhi, listening to the mindless rumblings of 'social aunties' and then out of the blue a "guest friend" calls up (these people have a habit of coming and disappearing at apt intervals) and I let the flood gates open! But he said something...to quote: "I never was fond of pets, as many people see them as an excuse for avoiding our emotions"

BAm BAM Bam! It was just one of those moments! I still mourn the death of my beauty, but it got me thinking...Are people who are madly in love with their pets really just scared of sharing the same emotions with another human being? Is our fear of rejection, our fear that what if the other person doesn't feel the same that really that strong , that after a point we just stop trying even in relationships we are currently in ?

Though I am scared to admit it, I think at some level I have done the same, one look back at the years and there have been times in school when instead of saying I like you to my crushes, I repeated the same words to my dogs! But I also must point out that every time i said it to my dogs, I always ended up with a sloppy dog jumping all over me. Still, it never did make up for what might have been. and its not just me, some of my closest friends have done the same and still do the same with boyfriends/girlfriends/lovers etc.

Which brings me to my other question: Is it really about our fear of emotions , of putting our feelings on line or is it just that we, as people have developed a sort of callousness towards emotions. Are emotions the new taboo for our generation?

Not only in mine, but also in so many of my friends lives and loves have I seen this. They all have had so much to say, so much express, but never did. What stopped them...a fear or rather is it the notion that emotions are what makes us weak, that our generation has grown up with the real culprit here....

It is everywhere isn't it? For ages men/women have been taught never to cry in front of other people, as it shows that your weak, never say how happy you are as it might make you appear selfish and self centered ... But I want to ask what's wrong with it? Why can't we cry in public, why can't I scream with joy when I am happy, why does showing that you have emotions make you weak... and who decided this!

And really what have we achieved through this.... honestly how many of us go through our lives holding back so much of what we feel.... just because "it isn't right" or the reasoning that "why should I be the first to take the plunge"

But now if we don't take that plunge then how will we ever know... how will we ever find that all consuming love or that glowing happiness or that introspective sadness... All these are what make us human, that set us apart, that makes us individuals and now we are just quietly letting go....

This isn't about loving your pet too much, about being scared of emotions, it isn't about being afraid to cry, or being afraid to say I am happy, I love you etc...

The fact of the matter we are finally reaching a stage where we are actually afraid of being human and this is what actually scares me.....

No comments: